|Q: I have self-published a bilingual English/Spanish picture book and have been sending it to bilingual directors at schools in my state. How would you suggest I broaden my promotional and marketing efforts?
There are a number of national organizations that can provide outlets and information on reaching people interested in bilingual, Spanish language and books of Hispanic interest. General information on this market is available from The Center for the Study of Books in Spanish for Children and Adolescents. This organization has a collection of books in Spanish from around the world, as well as Spanish/English trade and textbooks. It also collects journals and publishers’ catalogs. Each November, The Center holds a national conference in San Diego, entitled “The Conference on Books in Spanish for Young Readers.”
Information can be obtained by contacting The Center for the Study of Books in Spanish for Children and Adolescents at California State University at San Marcos, San Marcos, CA 92096, (619) 752-4073. Isabel Schon is the director.
Reforma is primarily an organization of librarians whose members also include educators and business people interested in serving Spanish speakers. Reforma publishes the quarterly Reforma Newsletter which does review children’s books in a column called “Para Ninos.” They also publish a membership directory and sell mailing labels. For more information about Reforma, contact Mary Dodge, Auraria Library, Lawrence at 11th Street, Denver, CO 80204, (303) 556-3521.
Other organizations you may want to contact are:
- The National Association for Bilingual Education at 1220 L Street, NW, Ste. 605, Washington, DC 20005, (202) 898-1829, which publishes a newsletter and journal.
- Highsmith Press, W5527 Highway 106, P.O. Box 800, Fort Atkinson, WI 53538, which publishes a catalog of multicultural books.
- The Multicultural Publishing and Education Council, 2280 Grass Valley Highway, #181, Auburn, CA 95603, a consortium of multicultural publishers.
Review media include:
- Hispanic Link News Service, 1420 N Street NW, Washington, DC 20005.
- Hispanic Radio Network, 1714 Canyon Road, Santa Fe, NM 87501.
Key distributors are Hispanic Book Distributors, 1665 West Grant Road, Tucson, AZ 85745; Lectorum Publications, 137 W. 14th Street, New York, NY 10011; and Bilingual Publications, 270 Lafayette Street, S. 705, New York, NY 10012. 8:9/94