|Learning the Ropes of PR
Working With Publishers
Advertising and Promotion
Tools of the Trade
- Kids, Books and a Little Vaudeville
- STORYCUB.ORG: Taking Your Picture Book to Kids Worldwide
- I’ve adapted several folktales which have done very well. They have been translated and recorded on two records, and every time I read it somewhere, a child has dramatized it with a drama class. Is there some way I can pursue it becoming a short film?
- I’m turning in my first fiction work, a young adult coming of age book, featuring Latina protagonists in the world of magic. What should I be doing beyond what the publisher has planned?
- Do you have any tips/ guidelines for Caribbean authors to access the millions of West Indian immigrants and their families now living in North America?
- FEATURE TOPIC: Recommendations for authors and illustrators of books about Africa
- What can I do to help market a children’s play that is based on one of my picture books?
- I’m looking for someone who could represent my workshop programs to schools and libraries?
- I have a middle-school novel being published and readers have commented that it would be good for a movie or after-school special. How would I go about pursuing that? Who would I approach? Also, my contract says I would only have partial rights for any movie rights, and that my publisher would share them, so do I need to wait for the publisher to be approached? Or can I take an active role?
- I wish to market three chess books I’ve written as a set. Can you direct me to good lists of media and other specialty organizations in this area?
- My book will be marketed exclusively to schools and libraries. Is there any point in doing book signings, since the public won’t be able to buy it?
- I have a Native American recipe book from tribes in the USA. To market to foreign countries would the book have to be translated into foreign languages?
- I would like to sell autographed copies of my books at a story hour I’m doing at a children’s hospital. What would be the “proper” way to handle this so as not to appear too “commercial”?
- Can you provide information on the marketing and development of children’s coloring books?
- How can I place excerpts of my books in magazines?
- What can associations do to help promote children’s books?
- How can I market a cartoon script or art to Disney, and others?
- How can I promote a special program promoting my western-themed book to schools?
- How can I market a book and audio tape package?
- How can I market a book to the U.S. Government Printing Office?
- How can I reach the homeschool market?
- Is it appropriate to market and publicize my own work?
- When do books benefit from niche marketing? How much time should be spent exploring this area?
- How do books get submitted for awards?
- Can you suggest niche markets for selling rhymed verse?
- Where can I obtain U.S. school curricula for children, so I know what topics are being covered at certain age levels?